If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an internet casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you most likely run into other people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying on the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that looked like a slot machine. We have all seen the small digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style video poker machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and better casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a very trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside from the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as an source of money that is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour vast amounts into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling far better stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that video more info slot gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to deal with?